Saint Spyridon, Golden Anniversary 1928 – 1978
Narrative by Peter Korbakes: Saint Spyridon Hellenic Orthodox Church/Plutarchos Greek School is interesting because it was founded further away from the epicenter of Greek Chicago (Roseland/Pullman neighborhoods). It has always been a bit of a blue collar community. The original members worked in the Pullman yards and the factories of the Southeast side of Chicago. The new wave of Greek immigration in the 1950s grew the community to around 300/400 families. Most of these also worked in the factories of the Southeast side. The original building was sold in the 1970s and the community moved to the suburb of Palos Heights.
The Golden Anniversary Dinner Dance Volume is interesting because this is approximately 10 years after the destruction of the Delta and also a few years after "white flight" into the suburbs. Also gives us a look into what type of businesses Greeks owned in the local community, as well.
Credit: Peter Korbakes